Oral Hygiene

Bacterial plaque is a sticky, transparent layer that bonds on the tooth surface. It continuously builds up. You can recognize the plaque by scratching your tooth surface with your nails. In one milligram of plaque there can be 1 to 500 millions of bacteria, and the plaque itself is build by the bacteria. Tongue, lips and saliva works in a way to remove the bacteria together with food remains, and send them to the stomach.

For this reason in order to be hold on the the teeth bacteria produces a gluey substance called dextran. This substance is resistive to water, and it does not wash off, e.g with a normal mouth wash. Dextran works for other purposes such as trapping little food pieces to help the bacteria to gain food. If there is not enough food in the surrounding, bacteria can consume their own dextran, and wait until the next food intake. In the end, plaque is a substance made by bacteria and the gluey substance such as dextran produced by the bacteria.


When the bacteria digest food they produce acids in the mouth. The acid inside the gluey substance is in contact with the tooth, and in the long run this acidity can cause mineral loss from the tooth. If the plaque is not cleaned caries may occur.


Cavities are not the only consequence of bad dental hygiene. In time, bacterial plaque is covered by the minerals in the saliva. Calculus or Tartar is a term that explains hardened dental plaque, which is caused by the continual accumulation of minerals from saliva on plaque on the teeth. Its rough surface provides an ideal medium for further plaque formation, threatening the health of the gingiva(gums). This may cause irritation, bleeding, and loss of connective tissue.

How to control the plaque formation?

Even if we can not remove the bacteria from out mouth we can control them. The time required for plaque development is 24 hours, and before that the bacteria can not produce acids that harm the tooth and gums. If we devote our few minutes every day for tooth bushing and dental flossing, we will take the biggest step for our dental health. Only you can control the plaque in your mouth.

The correct tooth brush and dental floss will remove the surrounding that the bacteria can live, hence without the bacterial plaque no problems with cavities or gingiva occurs.

Halitosis, or foul odor in the mouth is also caused by bacteria. The reason for the breath odor is a gas called volatile sulfide. The foul odor in the breath is mostly mouth originated. An infection in the mouth, an advanced gingivitis (gum disease), or bacteria that are feeding on the food remains of many hours, can cause this smell.

How to control the plaque formation?

Even if we can not remove the bacteria from out mouth we can control them. The time required for plaque development is 24 hours, and before that the bacteria can not produce acids that harm the tooth and gums. If we devote our few minutes every day for tooth bushing and dental flossing, we will take the biggest step for our dental health. Only you can control the plaque in your mouth. The correct tooth brush and dental floss will remove the surrounding that the bacteria can live, hence without the bacterial plaque no problems with cavities or gingiva occurs.


Halitosis, or foul odor in the mouth is also caused by bacteria. The reason for the breath odor is a gas called volatile sulfide. The foul odor in the breath is mostly mouth originated. An infection in the mouth, an advanced gingivitis (gum disease), or bacteria that are feeding on the food remains of many hours, can cause this smell.

Other kind of sources of a foul odor in the breath can be caused by, tonsilloliths, lung infections, sinus infections (sinusitis), diabetes (acetone smell), stomach and bowel diseases, kidney malfunctions (fishy smell), liver and metabolism defects. Before any treatment, he reason for halitosis should be diagnosed properly. For mouth originating odor, all the caries problems should be treated, gum diseases should be taken care of, gum pockets and tartar should be eliminated, buried and half buried wisdom teeth should be pulled.


Above all this:

Brush your teeth after each meal and use dental floss once a day. Keep your tooth brush in a dry and clean place, and wash it well after use. Due to its rough surface our tongue is a structure where the bacteria can attach and hardly washed off. Together with our teeth it is important to wash the tongue, especially in the rear end, to prevent the smell. If you are uncomfortable brushing this ares, you can scrape clean the tongue by using a plastic spoon. You can also use the tongue brushes and tongue scrapers available in the market. Mint tablets, mouth sprays and mouth washes do not treat the mouth odor, they only suspend the smell for a while.


In order to suppress the foul odor, you can use a mouth was made of 1:1 hydrogen per oxide and water. For the smell that is originating from food or drinks (such as garlic, onion, alcohol) a glass of milk in drunk first thing the next morning may considerably suppress the smell.

Other kind of sources of a foul odor in the breath can be caused by, tonsilloliths, lung infections, sinus infections (sinusitis), diabetes (acetone smell), stomach and bowel diseases, kidney malfunctions (fishy smell), liver and metabolism defects. Before any treatment, he reason for halitosis should be diagnosed properly. For mouth originating odor, all the caries problems should be treated, gum diseases should be taken care of, gum pockets and tartar should be eliminated, buried and half buried wisdom teeth should be pulled.


Above all this:

Brush your teeth after each meal and use dental floss once a day. Keep your tooth brush in a dry and clean place, and wash it well after use. Due to its rough surface our tongue is a structure where the bacteria can attach and hardly washed off. Together with our teeth it is important to wash the tongue, especially in the rear end, to prevent the smell. If you are uncomfortable brushing this ares, you can scrape clean the tongue by using a plastic spoon. You can also use the tongue brushes and tongue scrapers available in the market. Mint tablets, mouth sprays and mouth washes do not treat the mouth odor, they only suspend the smell for a while.


In order to suppress the foul odor, you can use a mouth was made of 1:1 hydrogen per oxide and water. For the smell that is originating from food or drinks (such as garlic, onion, alcohol) a glass of milk in drunk first thing the next morning may considerably suppress the smell.Oral HygieneBacterial plaque is a sticky, transparent layer that bonds on the tooth surface. It continuously builds up.

You can recognize the plaque by scratching your tooth surface with your nails. In one milligram of plaque there can be 1 to 500 millions of bacteria, and the plaque itself is build by the bacteria. Tongue, lips and saliva works in a way to remove the bacteria together with food remains, and send them to the stomach. For this reason in order to be hold on the the teeth bacteria produces a gluey substance called dextran.

This substance is resistive to water, and it does not wash off, e.g with a normal mouth wash. Dextran works for other purposes such as trapping little food pieces to help the bacteria to gain food. If there is not enough food in the surrounding, bacteria can consume their own dextran, and wait until the next food intake.

In the end, plaque is a substance made by bacteria and the gluey substance such as dextran produced by the bacteria.When the bacteria digest food they produce acids in the mouth. The acid inside the gluey substance is in contact with the tooth, and in the long run this acidity can cause mineral loss from the tooth. If the plaque is not cleaned caries may occur.

Cavities are not the only consequence of bad dental hygiene. In time, bacterial plaque is covered by the minerals in the saliva. Calculus or Tartar is a term that explains hardened dental plaque, which is caused by the continual accumulation of minerals from saliva on plaque on the teeth. Its rough surface provides an ideal medium for further plaque formation, threatening the health of the gingiva(gums). This may cause irritation, bleeding, and loss of connective tissue.